The National Functional Medicine Diplomate Exam
Certification through the ABFM demonstrates that a practicioner has met the rigorous standards through intensive study, assessment and clinical evaluation. The postgraduate certification encompasses continual professional development through values centered on lifelong learning.
The American Board of Functional Medicine holds its diplomate certification examination once a year as announced. Candidates also have the option to take the examination through a qualified testing center, unversity or college in their local area. The diplomate certification examination is comprised of 3 written parts. The goal is to assess the fundamental knowledge of human physiology, diagnostic skills, and non-toxic treatment options in Functional Medicine.
Written Examination- Description and Content
The written exam is composed of 3 sections. It is a comprehensive examination that covers majority of topics in the field of Functional Medicine. It is comprised of 200 items of any question format except essay, and passing mark is 80% or raw score of 160. Results for this part will be released via email correspondence, postal mail, or any form of telecommunications within 14 days.
Listings of major topics included in the written examination
a. Philosophy of Functional Medicine
b. Functional Approaches to Cardiology
c. Functional Approaches to Food Therapy
d. Functional Approaches to Clinical Nutrition
e. Functional Approaches to Immunology
f. Functional Approaches to Infectious Diseases
g. Functional Approaches to Toxicology & Detoxification
h. Functional Approaches to Endocrinology
i. Functional Approaches to Neurology
j. Functional Approaches to Laboratory Interpretation
k. Functional Approaches to Epigenetics
i. Functional Approaches to Gastroenterology
i. Functional Approaches to Pharmacology
i. Functional Approaches to Pediatrics
i. Functional Approaches to Geriatrics
Physicians intending to take the diplomate specialty examination of the American Board of Functional Medicine must fulfill the following credential requirements:
1.Professional Education - Candidate must possess a doctorate level of education in field of healthcare from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants do not require a doctorate, but they must have successfully completed their medical education from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
2. Licensure - Candidate must possess an active, unrestricted license to practice within their scope.
3. Good Standing - Candidate must be in good standing from the ABFM and their professional licensure board. Physicians must not have been convicted (or be in the process of being investigated) for a criminal offense.
APPEALS - Credentials
Applicants may appeal to the Board for consideration if they have special circumstances regarding the credential requirments. The Board may choose to make determinations on a case by case decision.
APPEALS - Examination
Appeals to the results of the written and/or practical exam must be submitted together with a formal letter of appeal addressed to the Chairman of Board of Directors within two weeks after receiving applicant's examination results. Exact nature of the appeal should be clearly stated, for the appeal to be acted upon.
1. Re-checking of answer sheet will be done by the Board of Examiners only, as necessary.
2. Results of the exam are final. The Board of Examiners reserves the right to pass or fail an examinee after careful deliberation.
3. If the candidate failed the exam, candidate may re-take the exam no earlier than 60 days, candidate must pay the standard examination fee again.
4. Candidate may only take the board exam for a maximum of 3 attempts, without any deadline when to take it. Candidates that cannot pass the exam within 3 attempts will be required to complete 50 hours of additional functional medicine coursework before becoming eligible to retake the exam for a total of 3 additional attempts.
Physicians who meet the above mentioned credentials for the diplomate specialty board must submit the following to the ABFM within 2 weeks prior to the exam date.
1. Photocopy of doctorate diploma
2. Photocopy of current licensure
3. Transcripts containing 300 hours of postdoctoral training in functional medicine from ABFM approved seminars
4. A completed ABFM application form
5. A current curriculum vitae or resume
6. A non-refundable $850 fee
7. Two passport sized photographs
Original copies of any of the above may be required at any time.
Questions? Contact the Board email@example.com
COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATION